DVD from the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment
Please see “The Who, What and Why of your Child’s Learning in the Primary School” on DVD by clicking here.
Reading with your child
Top Ten Tips for Parents /Guardians
1. Read to your child as often as you can.
2. Talk about books / characters / plots.
3. Enrol your child in the local library. Please visit Tallaght library
4. Provide a good role model by reading yourself / other family members.
5. Keep CD’s of familiar stories to play in the car.
6. Vary the type of books read – stories / poems / information.
7. Accept your child’s efforts with praise.
8. Concentrate on what he /she got right.
9. Make reading together enjoyable.
10. Take part in school based initiatives like ‘Shared Reading’. These
The link below will bring you to the NCCA website which provides tip sheets for how to help your child develop their numeracy skills. This sheet is available in a number of languages, including Polish, which may be helpful to some of you. We would really recommend watching some of the videos on this page also, they are quite short but give some great ideas of how to help your child develop and practice their numeracy at home.
Interesting Publications from INTO (Irish National Teacher’s Organisation)
Please download and read this interesting document that provides wonderful tips for your child in primary school.
Tips for Parents in English
Your child is about to start school. The first day is a momentous day in your child’s life. Think of it! New friends, a new place, new sounds, new rules, more people; it is a whole new world.
Tips for Parents in Irish
Ó lá a mbreithe, foghlaimíonn leanaí go nádúrtha agus go neamhfhoirmiúil ón a dtuismitheoirí agus ón timpeallacht. Is minic a bhíonn fonn ar thuismitheoirí toradh éigin ar an bhfoghlaim fhoirmeálta a fheiceáil go luath tar éis don leanbh dul ar scoil.
Tips for Parents in Polish
Od urodzenia dzieci naturalnie i nieformalnie uczą się od rodziców i otoczenia. Rodzice często chcieliby dostrzec jakieś efekty formalnej edukacji zaraz po rozpoczęciu przez dziecko nauki w szkole.